An Acer Aspire One D255E notebook came to my hands with a Windows 7 starter preinstallation (and dual boot with Android too, this I will explain in other post). The owner did not want to wipe out Windows, but complete the installation with free software so the notebook would be usable (main use: browse the web, watch videos, open email attachments, play music, transfer photos from camera, print documents).
These are the programs that I installed:
- First step is a libre software browser, so I downloaded and installed Mozilla Firefox. Of course it will be the default browser.
- Installed Adblock Plus add-on to clean out the internet advertisements and pop ups, enhancing the web surfing experience.
- Downloaded and installed 7zip so we can [un]compress almost all the formats.
- PDFCreator will be our default printer!
- LibreOffice will be our office suite.
- I was going to install InfraRecorder but realised that we have no CDROM unit (ISO files can be opened with 7zip).
- GIMP will be our photo editor.
- VLC will we our media player.
- Will try Evince for Windows as PDF reader.
The notebook came with some games and an antivirus, so for now I think this is enough. Am I missing something?