Recent events in the fediverse in general and related to fosstodon.org instance in particular have made me rethink the place where I’d like to handle the @debian account in the Mastodon/GNU Social/ActivityPub fediverse.
I couldn’t decide a “final” place yet, but I’m exploring options (including selfhosting).
Note: This paragraph is updated (2019-07-28), thanks to the people pointing to me that it was unclear, I hope this new wording and details clarifies more my position.
For a summary of what happened plus some thoughts thrown to the table you can read this article by Brandon ‘LinuxLiaison’ Nolet and this one by ’emsenn’. I’ve been thinking about all this, and I decided to leave the fosstodon.org instance because I believe there are underlying issues that the provided apology does not solve, and do not help to foster the welcoming, diverse and inclusive environment where I’d like to be, for me, and for this non-official debian account. There is more info out there and several different personal opinions, so I guess people interested in learn more about the context can find by themselves.
- Starting 2019-07-28 I’ll post the micronews.debian.org RSS feed in @email@example.com
- I will continue posting the micronews.debian.org RSS feed to @firstname.lastname@example.org too, to give time for this news to spread and people to move.
- I will fix a toot to this blog post in both accounts, because @email@example.com may be temporary (or not. we’ll see).
- On 1 September I will stop sending the micronews feed to @firstname.lastname@example.org and I will only post a toot to this blog post from time to time.
- On 1 October I will stop posting anything from @email@example.com and close the account or make it dormant or whatever.
- I don’t think I will take a new decision of a final or future move before October. I will try to put time on exploring options from September until the end of the year. Depending on my availability and the available help from Debian friends, the final home of the @debian account in the fediverse will be settled soon or later… you know, “when it’s ready”.
Thanks for understanding, and for your help
All this caught me in a “bad moment” (very busy with Debian and non-Debian stuff + personally, lower energy than usually). I apologise for not giving much details and also for not reacting quicker.
I appreciate if you can spread this news so people follow the new account easily.
I would like to thank the friends that gave me some heads up about what was happening, and helped me to understand in a time where I could have not much time to read everything, and also were patient to wait for me to take a decision.
Reminder: the account, wherever it’s hosted, is a mirror of micronews.debian.org
Finally, I would like to remind everybody that the @debian account in the fediverse, wherever is hosted, is not official. It just posts the RSS feed provided by https://micronews.debian.org, which is one the official source of news about Debian. Micronews includes short news produced or selected by the Debian Publicity team and also broadcasts links to the longer official announcements posted in the other official channels: the Debian blog, the Debian website or the Debian announce and news mailing lists.